VPN, which is an acronym for Virtual Private Network, is a common term in the world of business. It is a virtual internet connection that businesses and major telecommunication infrastructures use to stay connected to remote sites. And although it is the fastest and most effective way of staying connected, not all VPN service providers will give you a fast VPN service.
Having that in mind, you should be extra careful when choosing your VPN service provider. To help you make the best choice, here are a few factors that might affect the speed and effectiveness of your virtual private network.
- Your area of residence – The performance of a virtual private network largely depends on your area of residence or business. The farther you are from your VPN server, the slower the connection speed and performance will be. However, apart from your locality, the performance of your VPN will also depend on the service provider you are working with, the server you are connected to, the number of users using the same server as you, the operating system and above all, the VPN router that you use.
- The ideal protocol – Your service provider must have mentioned that VPN is provided primarily through two protocols; Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) and the Open Virtual Private Network Protocol. The PPTP is the simplest and the easiest to set up. As a matter of fact, for you to set up the PPTP, you do not need any virtual software.
On the other hand, for you to set up an open VPN, you will need a virtual software. Furthermore, not all VPN protocols are compatible with mobile devices, so it is best that you know what your VPN needs are before selecting your protocol.
That said, how can you find the best VPN services? Read on to find out…
- First, don’t focus on the price but on the performance – One of the biggest mistakes that people make when shopping for VPN services is opting for the cheapest options in the market. Your biggest concern should be the speed and the performance of your VPN connections and not searching for the cheapest or free services. At the end of the day, the cheaper option might end up costing you more, so be wise.
- Mobile device compatibility – Some VPNs are not compatible with mobile devices. So, if you want to have the same connections on your mobile device, ensure that you choose a VPN that has a mobile app either for Android or iPhone.
- Find what is popular – This might sound so egotistic but the truth of the matter is that these VPNs are popular for a reason. And if you are looking for the best, you should consider VPN services that are popular in your area. Fact is, the more popular the VPN services, the higher the chances of them being reliable, excellent and effective.
To conclude, you should always remember that you are choosing a VPN to protect your privacy, especially if it is for business related matters.