How To Get A Divorce In Houston Texas Fast


Getting divorced is a serious step that involves ending a marriage. Once you have made this decision, it is likely that you would want the process to end fast. Knowing what to do beforehand will make the process go much more efficiently. Here are the steps to getting divorced in Houston.

How To Get A Divorce In Houston Texas Fast

Have valid grounds for filing for divorce

There are 7 valid reasons that can cause you to file for divorce in Houston. Go through those and check to see if your reasons happen to be among them. These include:

  • In supportability – It is impossible to overcome the difficulties in the marriage
  • Abandonment
  • If one of the spouses has been confined to a mental hospital and they are not likely to come out soon
  • If one partner has been convicted of a criminal offence and is serving over 1 year in prison
  • Adultery
  • Cruelty
  • If you have been living apart from your spouse for at least 3 years and there is no sign you will start living together again

Make sure you or your spouse resides in Texas

Either you or your spouse must have been living in Texas for at least 60 days for you to make a filing there. You do not necessarily have to have gotten married in Texas for you to get divorced in Texas.

Work out child support

If you have children, agree with your partner on how you will share custody of them. You also have to agree about who will pay child support and how it will be paid. If you agree on this issue on your own, it will prevent it from dragging out in court and consequently lengthening the divorce process.

Get an attorney

If you want to know how to get a divorce in Houston Texas fast, you need to talk to an attorney. They can inform you about what you need to do. This is very important in a contested divorce.

If your divorce is a no contest one, then it might not be necessary to get a lawyer since your partner has willingly agreed to the divorce and the conditions thereof. Therefore, talk to your partner first and see if they can amicably agree to the split.

File a petition

Your lawyer can help you do this. Your partner will be served with the divorce papers. You need to give them time to respond to the filing. You will have to wait for at least 60 days for the case to be finalized and a ruling made.

If your partner doesn’t cause trouble, then you can be divorced within 60 days. However, if they are opposed to any issues in the divorce, you might have to wait longer depending on what the issue is and how it will be solved.

Asset division

You will need to agree on how assets and debts are going to be split up between you two. If both parties agree on this, the judge will sign the petition and grant a divorce.