Every one of us has faced acne problem at least once in their life and it’s simply irritating to carry one. In this post we will be taking a look at some of the best home remedies for acne that will help you get rid of them easily.
What exactly is acne?
Acne occurs when the tiny openings for the hair follicles gets blocked by the greasy secretion from the oil glands. When the openings are large, acne take form of black heads and when they are small, it takes form of white heads. These black and white heads then eventually swell and take form of pimples.
Now that you have understood what exactly acne is, one of the best solutions to get rid of them is washing your skin often and keeping it clean and oil free. Below we will be sharing some of the best home remedies for acne that will help you in avoiding and getting rid of pimples.
#16 Home Remedies for Acne
#1 Steam for Treating Acne
Steam is one of the easiest and best ways to treat acne. Taking steam helps in opening up the skin pores and flushing off unwanted bacteria and impurities within it. This simple treatment can be done with very less material and within the confines of your home.
To treat your acne with steam all you need is hot water in a large bowl, 1 large towel and soft paper napkins. Keep the large bowl with hot water in front of you and put your face above it so that the steam from the hot water comes on your face. Now cover your head and the bowl with the towel such as to trap the steam. Take the steam for around 10-15 minutes. Once done, use the soft paper napkins to clear your skin and make it dry.
#2 Apple Cider Vinegar for Treating Acne
Over the centuries, apple cider vinegar is considered as one of the best solutions for treating pimples.
Why apple cider vinegar?
- It has good anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that protects skin from harmful bacteria
- It has pH value of 4.5 – 5.5 which helps in maintaining the skin pH factor
- It’s rich with beta-carotene which is helpful in counteracting damage caused by free radicals
How to use apple cider vinegar for treating acne?
You will need unfiltered or organic apple cider vinegar and tap water to make the toner. Once you have them, add 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of water and stir it nicely. Now take a cotton ball or cotton swab and dip it in the toner and apply directly to your acne-affected area. Leave it for at least 10-15 minutes before you wash it.
Apple cider vinegar has a pungent smell and no one would want to wear it while going out. So, the best way is to apply this toner is before sleeping and keep it overnight. This will give you good results as well.
#3 Green Tea for Treating Acne
Green tea is one of the best anti-oxidants and its intakes shows proven results on acne. However, using green tea externally gives more instantaneous results.
Why green tea?
- Green tea is rich with antioxidant called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)
- ECGC helps in reducing sebum production and bacterial growth
How to use green tea externally for treating acne?
To try this method you will require ½ cup hot water and 1 green tea bag. Dip the green tea bag in hot water for 4 – 5 minutes. Now take cotton balls, soak it in that water and apply on your skin or acne infected areas. You can even use the soaked tea bag directly on the skin.
#4 Potatoes for Treating Acne
Possibly you must be hearing this for the first time, but yes, using potatoes is one of the best ways to treat your pimples.
- Potatoes are rich in phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and chloride
- These components help reduce bothersome blemishes
- Potatoes also contain antioxidants that help in nourishing the skin and growth of new skin cells
How to use potatoes for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and get it dry with a soft cotton towel. Now take 1 raw potato and grate it. Rub the pulp and juice on your skin for a few minutes. Let it dry and remain for 15 – 30 minutes. Wash your face with warm water and pat it dry.
#5 Lemon Juice for Treating Acne
It’s proven that lemon is one of the best ingredients for skin and thus is helpful in treating acne.
Why lemon juice?
- Lemon is rich with Vitamin C, citric acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium
- It has the best antifungal and antibacterial properties
- It helps in removing oil from your skin and getting rid of dark spots
How to use lemon juice for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water. Now take freshly squeezed lemon juice. Dip cotton ball in it and apply to your acne-infected skin. Keep it for 15-20 minutes and wash it with cold water. Ensure you avoid direct sunlight when you apply lemon juice to your skin.
#6 Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) for Treating Acne
Sodium bicarbonate has antifungal and antiseptic properties that help you in treating acne immediately.
Why sodium bicarbonate?
- It is a natural antibiotic that helps you in clearing fungal infections
- It helps black heads to loosen and easier to extract from tough skin
- Its antiseptic properties eases inflammation and also helps in absorbing oil
How to use sodium bicarbonate for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and dry it using soft cotton towel. Take ½ cup baking soda and mix water in it to form a past. Now apply this past on your skin in circular motion. Let it remain for 15 – 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and pat dry. Use moisturizer.
#7 Aloe Vera for Treating Acne
Use of Aloe Vera is one of the proven ways to treat acne problem over the ages. You will even find a wide range of Aloe Vera gels in the market that help you in curing acnes.
Why Aloe Vera?
- It is rich with vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium
- It is high in amino acids and fatty acids that help building protein blocks
- It helps in healing wounds and soothing inflammation
How to use Aloe Vera for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water. Take a medium sized Aloe Vera leaf and peel its cover using a knife. After peeling the skin you will get latex or gel like substance. Rub this gel directly on your skin in circular motion. Keep it for 15 – 20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
#8 Banana Peel for Treating Acne
So the next time you eat banana, don’t just throw away the peel. It can be used to cure your acne problems.
Why banana peel?
- Banana peel contains lutein which is a powerful antioxidant
- Lutein helps in soothing inflammation and reducing swelling
- It also helps in healthy growth of your cells
How to use banana peel for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water. Take a banana peel and rub it all over your face in circular motion. Once done, let it remain for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash if off with cold water and pat dry. Use moisturizer.
#9 Orange Peel for Treating Acne
You will find a wide range of products for skin that use oranges as the main ingredient. Oranges surely has certain properties that help you in treat your acne.
Why orange peel?
- Oranges are rich with Vitamin C and citric acid
- Vitamin C helps in growth of healthy cells
- Citric acid helps in fighting off bacteria
How to use orange peel for treating acne?
Take two orange peels and grind it in a blender. Add small amount of water to it and make a paste. Now wash your face with cold water and dry it using soft towel. Apply this paste on your face and let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash if off with warm water and dry your skin. Apply moisturizer. You can even keep this facial pack overnight.
#10 Papaya Peel for Treating Acne
A lot of beauty products today use papaya as their main ingredient. However, there is no need to shed excessive money when you can use this product to treating acne.
Why papaya peels?
- Papaya contains an enzyme called papain
- Papain helps in reducing inflammation and pus formation
- Papaya also helps in removing dead skin cells and excess oil from skin surface
How to use papaya peel for treating acne?
Take papaya peel and grind it in a blender. Add a little water while blending so as to make a paste. Wash your face with cold water and dry it with soft towel. Now apply the papaya peel paste to your skin in circular motion. Let it remain for 20 – 30 minutes and then wash it with warm water. Use moisturizer.
#11 Egg Whites for Treating Acne
Making use of egg whites is one of the best, easiest and affordable ways to get rid of acne. They surprisingly help you in reducing your acne and fading the scars thus becoming one of the best home remedies for acne.
Why egg whites?
- Egg whites are rich with proteins and vitamins that help combat acne
- Proteins and vitamins also help you in building healthy skin cells
- They also soak excess oil thus curbing growth of bacteria
How to use egg whites for treating acne?
Take 2 – 3 egg whites that are separated from yolk. Whisk these whites until they are frothy. Wash your face with cold water and dry it with soft towel. Now apply the mixture on your face and let it dry. You can apply another layer once the first layer dries up. Apply 4 – 5 layers and let it sit for around 20 – 30 minutes. Wash your face with warm water. Apply moisturizer.
#12 Honey + Strawberry for Treating Acne
A blend of honey and strawberry works magic on acne and helps you in treating your pimples and without sheading huge bucks on costlier treatments.
Why strawberry and honey?
- Strawberries is rich in salicylic acid
- Salicylic acid helps in opening clogged pores and neutralizing bacteria
- Honey works as an anti-inflammatory and also against bacteria
How to use strawberry and honey for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and dry it using soft cotton towel. Take 2-3 washed strawberries and mash them finely. Now add 2 teaspoons of honey to the mashed strawberries and mix them well. Apply this mixture on your face and let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash if off with warm water and pat dry. Use moisturizer.
#13 Honey + Yogurt for Treating Acne
Honey and yogurt together can also be used as one of the best ways to treat acne. The antibacterial properties of yogurt and anti-inflammation properties of honey help your acne to fade.
Why honey and yogurt?
- Yogurt is rich with antibacterial properties that help in getting rid of bacteria
- Also the fats from yogurt help in providing moisture and keeping the skin nourished
- Honey works as an anti-inflammatory and also against bacteria
How to use honey and yogurt for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and dry it using soft towel. Take 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey and mix them thoroughly. Now apply this mixture on your skin with fingers or cotton ball. Let it dry. Apply 3 – 4 layers ensuring each one is dry before applying the new one. Let it stay for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash if off with warm water and dry using soft towel. Use moisturizer.
#14 Cinnamon + Honey for Treating Acne
Cinnamon and honey together forms a great combination to treat acne. Simple to make and easy to use, this method is one of the best home remedies for acne.
Why cinnamon and honey?
- Cinnamon is rich in antimicrobial properties and helps in stopping bacteria
- Honey works as an anti-inflammatory and also against bacteria
How to use cinnamon and honey for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and dry using a soft towel. Take 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon and 2 tablespoon of honey. Mix them together and form a paste. Now apply the mask on your face and let it stay for 15 – 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and pat dry using soft towel of paper napkins.
#15 Garlic for Treating Acne
Garlic is known for its antibacterial properties and thus is used while making several food products. This property of garlic can also be used to treat acne.
- It has rich antibacterial properties
- It helps in opening up the clogged pores and getting off the bacteria
How to use garlic for treating acne?
Wash your face with cold water and pat dry using soft towel. Take 4 – 5 cloves of garlic and mash them to extract juice. Add 1 teaspoon of water to this juice. Take a cotton ball, dip in the mixture and apply to the acne-infected areas. Let it remain for 15 – 20 minutes. Wash it off with cold water and pat dry using soft towel. Use moisturizer.
#16 Mint for Treating Acne
Mint is one of the best home remedies for acne and can be made and used easily on the skin.
- Mint contains menthol which when used for treating acne helps in cooling the skin
- It also helps in reducing the inflammation caused due to acne
- Mint also helps in reducing the swelling, fading the redness, and decreasing the discomfort caused due to pimples.
How to use mint for treating acne?
To treat acne with mint, you will need handful of fresh mint leaves. Blend these leaves finely using a blender or mortar and pestle whichever available. Once the leaves are properly blended, wash your face with water and pat it dry. Now apply the juice and crushed leaves of mint on your face and keep it for 15 – 20 minutes before you rinse it off with cold water.
The above 16 home remedies for acne have been proved to be the best that you can try and get rid of your pimples. You can try these all by yourself and share your responses with us. You can also share any other remedies that you know with us.